Tuesday 24 April 2012

SOME MERMAIDS AND NYMPHS

By Essie Fox


An illustration of the Rhinemaidens

At the moment I am suffering from mental exhaustion, and also a sense of elation - an experience, I'm sure, many authors will know when they come to the end of writing a novel.

My second Victorian mystery, which is called Elijah's Mermaid, tells the story of an artist who buys a young girl from a brothel, thereafter becoming obsessed with painting his child-like muse in the form of a nymph or mermaid.

This new novel will shortly be made into proofs, and face the copy-editor's pen, and although I am immensely relieved I shall also miss the story - having been immersed for two long years. So, to make up for any sense of loss and to show some of the art that inspired my work I'd like to make a 'picture post'...


A Mermaid by John William Waterhouse


Hylas and the Nymphs by Waterhouse


The Wave by Bouguereau


Nymphs and Satyr by Bouguereau


Galatea by Dorigny


Water Baby by Herbert James Draper



The Fisherman and the Syren by Leighton


Lamia by Waterhouse


From Russian Folk Art



Essie Fox is the author of The Somnambulist, a Victorian gothic mystery. For more information see www.essiefox

For Essie's Victorian blog see: www.virtualvictorian.blogspot.co.uk

10 comments:

Sue said...

I can understand why these paintings inspired you, they are stunning. I've always loved Waterhouse's work. The book sounds amazing, can't wait!

Essie Fox said...

Thank you, purplerfish11 - I really love Waterhouse too.

Sally Zigmond said...

Can't wait to read it, Essie. If it's half as good as The Somnambulist, it'll be brilliant!

Kit Berry said...

I am really looking forward to this book! Mermaids are such an exciting concept - I can perfectly understand an obsession with them. When will the book be published, Essie?

Essie Fox said...

Thank you, Sally - that means such a lot. I do appreciate your support.

Kit, I'm not exactly sure but I think it's going to be published in November now. Still have the copy-edits to do, and then it's all out of my hands...which is rather frightening.

Penny Dolan said...

Have always quite fancied a luxury bathroom with pictures like these around the walls. Or maybe a large, personal swimming pool. Thanks for the idle fantasy - and good wishes for Elijah's mermaid.

Essie Fox said...

Thank you, Penny.

Mark Burgess said...

Your book sounds great - good luck with it & I will look forward to reading. And a lovely collection of pictures. Waterhouse a fav of mine too. Poor Hylas didn't stand a chance...

Sue Purkiss said...

Aren't they gorgeous!

Mary Hooper said...

Oh, gorgeous! I love Water Baby. Thanks for letting us share.