We are lucky enough to have two competitions this month. Both are open only to UK residents.
Firstly, our usual one linked to this month's guest. You can win one of five copies of Helen Castor's Joan of Arc: a History, by answering this question in the Comments section below:
"Why do you think Joan of Arc has had more pop songs written about her than any other historical figure?"
Please also copy your answers to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org so I can contact the winners.
Secondly, Flybe have generously offered a pair of tickets for return flights from London Southend Airport to Caen. I wrote about the sights to be found at Caen and Bayeux. And more about Bayeux here and here, both places I visited courtesy of the airline Flybe and the Normandy Tourist Board.
All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning the tickets is Follow us on Twitter and send me an email at: email@example.com to say you have done so. We are @history_girls. We will pick the winner out of a hat and notify you by email.
Closing date for both competitions is 7th November.
Terms & conditions for the Flybe competition:
Flybe operated by Stobart Air Travel Voucher Terms and Conditions
1. Flight vouchers can only be redeemed on www.flybe.com.
2. You will be required to enter the voucher reference number provided at the time of
3. Seats can only be booked in Q Class or lower.
4. Seats must be redeemed together and seat availability is at Stobart Air’s discretion.
5. While every effort will be made to facilitate your preferred travel dates bookings are
subject to applicable seat availability on flights. Furthermore please be aware that
weekend availability is limited and a minimum of 14 days advance booking request is
6. The voucher cannot be used to redeem flights on bank holiday weekends, school
holidays or dates for major sporting events.
7. This voucher covers the cost of one piece of checked baggage per person per flight
(up to 20kgs) and one piece of cabin baggage (up to 7kg, subject to cabin baggage
terms & conditions). Please note this excludes all sporting equipment.
8. Routes and validity dates are not changeable.
9. Please retain this voucher as confirmation of winning.
10. The voucher does not entitle you to a cash value in lieu and is non-transferable. The
prize must be used by the winner and a companion travelling together.
11. Please check with your local authorities regarding passport and visa requirements
12. The prizewinner, if under 18, must be accompanied by an adult on the flight.
13. The winner may be required to take part in any publicity accompanying or resulting
from this competition.
The tickets must be redeemed by 26 February 2015. Also, please bear in mind that Flybe is only covering the flights, not accommodation, transfers etc.