Wednesday 5 April 2017

Spring by Joan Lennon

One of my sons is living in Indonesia now, and though he is very happy about it, there are a few things that he misses.  (One is IrnBru, but we won't dwell on that.)  In a country where lushness is a steady, year-round phenomenon, he is finding that he misses the changing seasons he grew up with in Scotland.  Which made me think how much I too appreciate the way the year is punctuated by change.  Which sent me on a gentle stroll through wikicommons to look at historical paintings of spring.  Which now I share with you.  (Click on the images to make them bigger.)    





The Limbourg Brothers (Herman, Paul and Johan) 
Tres Riches Heures du duc de Berry: April (circa 1412-1416)





 Sandro Botticelli Primavera (1482)




Pieter Breughel the Younger (1564-1638) 
The Four Seasons: Spring




Vincent van Gogh 
The Pink Peach Tree (1888)


These will be old friends to many of you, but I'd like to add one more that was a) new to me and b) still sneaks in under the "historical" wire, by the Polish artist Leon Wyczolkowski -




Spring (1933)

If you have a favourite historical painting of spring which you would like to add to the gallery, pop a link to it into the comments below.
  


Joan Lennon's website.
Joan Lennon's blog.
Silver Skin.

1 comment:

Marie-Louise Jensen said...

Joan, I love the last painting! Gorgeous!